Are you wondering whether to raise the security measures in your business or home? When lockdown hit, crime started to fall, decreasing 10% compared to the previous year in 2020. Lockdown restrictions have come to an end in the UK, yet crime is on the rise as shops and businesses reopen. From the latest data, let’s take a look at the worst areas in the UK for crime.
- West Yorkshire- This comes up top for one of the worst areas in the UK for crime. Bordering Derbyshire, Greater Manchester, Lancashire, North Yorkshire and South Yorkshire, the county has a population of 2,307,000, coming to the fourth most populated county, despite being the 29th largest. The police recorded 284, 271 crimes in West Yorkshire giving it a crime rate of 123.2 per 1000 people. If you’re looking to up your security services for your business, you can take a look at Pride GB security services.
- Greater manchester– Covering a large proportion of the UK, you may be surprised to find out that Greater Manchester is the second worst area in the UK for crime. Greater Manchester includes the boroughs of Bolton, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford, Wigan, Manchester and Salford.
- Northumbria– Having one of the largest police forces in the UK, it’s no surprise that this is one of the worst areas for crime in the UK. Northumbria covers more than 2000 square miles. Police recorded a total of 159,904 crimes, including 13,283 crimes including violence. This gives Northumbria a total crime rate of 110.4 per 1000 people.
- Cleveland– The police in Cleveland cover Hartlepool, Redcar and Cleveland, Stockton and Middlesbrough. With a crime rate of 109.5 per 1000 people, Cleveland is the fourth most dangerous area of England and Wales.
- Kent– This area covers 1,442 square miles and is the 10th largest in England. Kent holds a whopping 1,832,300 people. Kent comes in as the fifth most dangerous area in England and Wales.
- Lancashire– Lancashire, home to Blackburn, Darwen, Burnley and Preston covers an area of 1,189 square miles and has a population of 1,490,500. Unfortunately, urban areas like Lancashire tend to have the worst crime rates. Lancashire has a crime rate of 102.6 per 1000 people, making the area the 6th most dangerous area in Wales and England.
- South Yorkshire– South Yorkshire contains four boroughs including Doncaster, Barnsley, Rotherham and Sheffield. Covering an area of 599 square miles, South Yorkshire has a crime rate of 102.5 per 1000 people, making it the 7th most dangerous area of England and Wales.
- Humberside– Classed as a part of Yorkshire and the Humber, Humberside has a population of 929,000. Containing Bridlington, the isle of Axholme and the outskirts of Grimsby, Humberson has a crime rate of 101.7 per 1000 people.
- Durham– County Durham covers 1,051 square miles and has a population of 630,000. 62,878 crimes have been recorded in Durham, giving it a crime rate of 99.9 per 1000 people.
- Greater London– Policed by the MET, the greater London’s police force has around 50,000 full-time personnel to take care of 33 boroughs in London. Despite being the most well-known city in the UK, London is only the 10th most dangerous area across England and Wales. London has a crime rate of 93.7 per 1000 people.
Thank you for reading our blog ‘Worst areas in UK for crime”. If you are looking to amp your security services up, take a look at Pride GB’s website today.